Wednesday, September 19, 2018

And So The Journey Continues

(1st photo) Derek Leong a year ago and now playing in SUKMA
A year ago Derek Leong was preparing to go to Hong Kong to study. I wrote then a caption on his photo ‘and so begins my journey’.

A year on the journey isn’t over but Derek is currently playing in SUKMA 2018 in the position of striker for the Perak football team.

Before going abroad Derek represented Perak in the President’s Cup, a developmental football competition in Malaysia for the under-21 players.

At City University Hong Kong where he is studying Psychology he represents the University playing football.

Several months ago Derek got a call in Hong Kong inquiring if he was interested to play in the SUKMA for Perak. Without hesitation he said yes.

“Playing football has always been my passion. It's like a form of therapy for me as I get to clear my mind from any troubles when I'm on the pitch. Also the passion stems from my father who also has a lot of interest in the sport.

We had to go for trials and selection. That took more than 2 months before the squad was finalized.

 He said being selected to play for the state was an honour and is very grateful for being given the opportunity to do so.

Derek Leong wears No 16 
“In the beginning I felt very nervous. It was my first time playing for the state in front of a big crowd. However I feel the need to play my best and deliver for the state as best I can”.

What’s next? After Sukma its back to Hong Kong to resume my studies for my 2nd year of study.

Derek Leong (kneeling) 3rd from left with the Perak team
Derek who wears the No 16 jersey in the team will be playing in the final against Kedah on the night of September 19 2018.



Good luck Derek.

JAG

No comments:

Post a Comment