Wednesday, April 15, 2020

Pangkor Island In The Mid 80's (3). Indian Fishermen


That night’s sleep in the huts was sound with the ebbing of gentle waves lulling me to sleep. 

I remembered it was slightly after 7am when I was awakened by the ‘chugging’ of a boat nearby. That was followed by the voices of men talking but in Tamil.




I got out of the hut and was greeted by a group of Indian fishermen, a little further from the huts, pulling in their net on the beach. I grabbed my camera and took the shots.



They brought in a school of fish mostly white pomfret / ikan bawal puteh which made 80% of their catch.


I asked to buy one of the fish and chose one that was sizeable enough for two which I paid Rm15 for. I asked the canteen operator to prepare the dish later

Over the years I don’t recall seeing Indian fishermen ever again from Perak all the way to Langkawi.

My 'long time ago' weekend in Pangkor Island.

JAG

No comments:

Post a Comment