Saturday, November 13, 2021

The 1950 Ipoh Speed Trials, Ashby Road Circuit

William Pillai (middle car) in his Austin7 registration J1020 with other participating cars.

The photo above was taken on Sunday 12 March 1950. The event was the Ipoh Speed Trials, Ashby road circuit. I’ve had this photo awhile now. 

Recently I saw a posting on IDC (that very Informative FB page Ipoh Discovery Channel) sent by a contributor, Mun Chor Seng about an Austin 7 Tourer. It related about the car and the 3rd owner of the car William Pillai with a statement ‘My first motorcar..signed W.G.P’.

This post connected me to my photo of the Austin7 

If my history serves me well William Pillai used to be with Ipoh Motors and he was the one in the middle car with registration J1020. What a coincidence.

I asked another motor aficionado Adrian Boudville about the Ipoh Speed Trials and Ashby road circuit.

Ashby road is now called Jalan Raja Ashman Shah and before that Jalan Hospital. The event started from the Gudwara Sahib temple turning into the school at Jalan Ghazali Jawi all the way to the Sungai Senam police station and back to the temple.

There would be about 20 cars participating of different models in the event. Most of the participants were planters and miners and some engineers. The event was organized by a club which eventually became the Perak Motor Club.

The Ashby circuit was later moved to Tasek in the sixties. 

KC



No comments:

Post a Comment