Wednesday, July 21, 2021

I Was Summoned by … Our Lady of Fatima

The statue of Our Lady of Fatima lying in this grotto in Jerry's garden

On April 14th 2021 was the third anniversary of the statue of Our Lady of Fatima coming into my possession.

The events leading to the recovery of the statue have always been in my memory.

On that day three years ago I somehow got a strong urge to visit the Horley Road flea market or known locally as Pasar Karat in Ipoh.

I rarely visited it because I am not a antiques hunter. But I could not resist the urge, so I was there that afternoon.

As I entered, my eyes were fixed to a brownish object about 14 inches in length lying on the concrete floor among some old rusty spanners and metal tools.

I picked it up and immediately recognized it as the statue of Our Lady of Fatima with the crown about to detach.

Suddenly an inner voice told me to take it home and it would cost only RM5.

I then asked the vendor how much, and he quoted the exact amount the inner voice had mentioned.

Without any hesitation I paid for it although I knew I could get it for much less. I left for home as soon as I had it bundled.

When I returned home I gave the statue a good wash and restored the original colours.

Now I realised that I was drawn to the fleas market for only one purpose, that was to get the statue.

Later I built a small grotto beside my fish-pond and placed the statue inside. It has been there ever since.

I strongly believe the statue had come to my house for a good reason. And, I am proud and honoured to be given the opportunity to rescue it from the flea market.

by Jerry Francis


1 comment:

  1. One never knows what one might find at the flea market. In your case this treasure has brought you good blessings.

    I visited this market a few times over the last few years. There were vintage items of interest but they never convinced me to get hold of them. Reason being I had already hoarded many things over the years. My hoarding habit has drastically slowed down.

    ReplyDelete