Wednesday, July 1, 2020

A Meal At The Heritage Coliseum (1921) Café.

My memory of  Coliseum ..in the nineties during lunch time.. the bar (and lounge)
It was a first time for me ie having a meal at the Coliseum at NIGHT.  Used to come here when in KL and dropped by for lunch and tea before returning to Ipoh. That was in the mid-nineties.

I used to sit on the bar because that was the only place available because the place was packed with customers. Parking too was a hassle then and most times we used to park in the back lane.

..and the diner .. isn't it nostalgic  
The only thing i remember of the place was the fittings and atmosphere of the old colonial setting. I was working those days and really wanted a meal, which was usually an inchi kabin and a cold beer then get home. 

..my meal of fish & chips with nostalgia 
  



I was glad to go back some years ago and this time at night. I got to see the place almost empty. It was after 8pm so I guess it might have been late.
A Lat cartoon and signs that there had been a upgrade 
A glimpse of the patrons immortalised .... what a genius
The bar was still the same but noticed there was a lot of Lat, the Malaysian’s cartoonist, drawings.  There was also one photo of Lat on the wall. I wonder if he was ‘officially’ inducted into the Coliseums ‘Hall of Fame’

Coliseum is well planned 2 shop lot establishment. It is divided into the bar and lounge taking up 1 lot and the diner the other lot. Interestingly next door was the Coliseum theatre.

..well planned .. the bar side ..
..and the diner 
Coliseum Cafe with Coliseum Theatre next door
It reminded me of Ipoh’s Lido theatre which had the Oasis next door and later the ABJ coffee house a few doors away.   But that was when theatres was still popular.

Memories came flooding back when I realized I had to get back to Ipoh again…and it was time to go.

JAG

No comments:

Post a Comment