Saturday, February 8, 2020

A Visit From Charlie The Cicada


Meet ‘Charlie’ the Cicada. It dropped by during my reunion dinner and stayed the night only leaving he next afternoon.

It perched itself onto my kitchen fan and ‘modeled’ for me the next morning before literally screeching off.



Folklore says that it is ’good luck’ if it drops by because ‘it only reports back good stories’. Don’t ask me to whom although I presume it is to ‘ the good fairy Godmother’.

I presume too it’s got good hearing and it’s got these huge ‘BUG’ eyes to watch and report.

Huge BUG eyes for which to watch and report back ???



Folklore aside it belongs to the Insect family. According to Wikipedia’s description it’s in the “….Order: Hemiptera , Class: Insecta , Scientific name: Cicadoidea, Kingdom: Animalia, Phylum: Arthropoda, Rank: Superfamily

Its in the SUPERFAMILY class….Description: The cicadas are a superfamily, the Cicadoidea, of insects in the order Hemiptera. They are in the suborder Auchenorrhyncha, along with smaller jumping bugs such as leafhoppers and froghoppers.


JAG

No comments:

Post a Comment