Thursday, February 9, 2017

Ronnie And Benny – A Father And Son’s Shared Love Of Horses


Just over 100 days ago Ronald Woodworth passed away from a heart attack at the National Heart Institute in Kuala Lumpur.

At his side was his son Benny, an international jockey, who brought his father back to Ipoh to the funeral parlor for the wake.

He then took a flight from Penang to Singapore to honour all his engagements that he lined up that weekend at the Singapore Turf Club where he rode a winner in Race 2 astride Cavatina. 


"This win is for you Dad” his eyes cast upwards as he held back the tears. He then returned for the funeral.


“I wanted to finish the race and try and ride as many winners as I could. He was always proud of me whenever I won and I dedicated the win to him” said Benny after the funeral.

Ronald Woodworth had always been around horses. His ambition was to become a professional jockey but he was too tall and too heavy.

But in his son Benny he saw that he was small built and he loved being around horses.

He has since been named Champion Jockey several times having earned the honour in Singapore, Malaysia and Mauritius.

 “I remember him taking me to the Iskandar Polo Club. I was 8 years old at the time and used to help warm up the horses. I used to look forward to that and would be disappointed if I didn’t get a ride that day.


“He is the one who trained me and taught me the basics until I joined Malcolm Thwaites stable.

“Dad used to take part in amateur races, very common in those day whenever there was a public holiday. In fact one year he was the top Amateur Jockey.

“Later on during the Pro-Amateur races, when I had turned professional, my father and me both rode winners on the same day.


 “Actually he is still teaching me cause in horse racing you never stop learning cause every horse is different.

“We spoke all the time before and after the race even with disagreement. We were super close.

“I am going to miss my father very much as I won’t have anyone to mentor me anymore. I am on own and I have to think the way he thinks”



JAG

1 comment:

  1. Benny , your Dad and siblings are very old friends of my siblings too.
    We are so sad when we heard that he had "gone home"
    He is now with God , the Saints and Angels and is in a very much better place.
    God bless all of you.

    ReplyDelete